Illustrated Guide to the Wildflowers of northern South Africa
This illustrated pocket guide has been designed for easy use in the field by botanists, nature lovers, eco-tourists, hikers and farmers, for on-the-spot identifications, making it unnecessary to collect specimens and in this way depleting the countryside of its beautiful natural heritage.
Features of the book are:
- Full-colour illustrations and brief descriptions of 614 species of the most common flowering plants, succulents and shrublets found in the four northern provinces: Limpopo, North-West, Gauteng and Mpumalanga.
- For quick and easy identification plants are placed in eight major categories of flower colour, namely white/cream-coloured; pink, yellow/orange, blue, mauve/purple, red, brown and green flowers.
- Each plant family is briefly introduced, where possible giving characters to distinguish them from each other.
- English and Afrikaans vernacular names are included where appropriate.
- A botanical glossary make botanical terms more comprehensible to the lay person.
- Indexes to scientific and common names.