Guide To The Aloes Of South Africa
Author: van Wyk/Smith
Guide to the Aloes of South Africa is a beautifully illustrated full-colour guide that makes it easy for both the layperson and scientist to identify aloes in the field and in gardens. This updated and expanded third edition reflects the latest scientific findings and includes:
- Detailed descriptions of all 155 South African species currently recognised by aloe experts, including information on the plant’s distinguishing features, flowering period, habitat and distribution, conservation status, the origin of its scientific and common names, as well as general notes on cultivation and traditional uses of the plant.
- More than 400 colour photographs, showing habitat and growth form, as well as close-up photographs of flowers and leaves.
- Distribution maps of all the species, as a further aid to identification.
- An easy-to-use identification system, dividing the aloes into 12 groups based mainly on growth habit.
- Introductory chapters focus on aloe-like plants; medicinal, cosmetic and tonic use of aloes; conservation, cultivation and propagation; gardening and landscaping with aloes; pests and diseases; and aloe hybrids and modern cultivars.
- Index to scientific and common names, an illustrated glossary and a list of further reading.