The Acacias, commonly known as "thorn trees", are probably the most distinctive and well known group of trees in Africa. They are one of the largest groups and are generally associated with a typical African landscape. This comprehensive book, Field Guide to the Acacias of South Africa, makes it easy to identify Acacias and includes:
- A complete account of all 48 recognized species, subspecies and varieties of the genus Acacia that occur within the borders of South Africa, including four newly described species.
- English and Afrikaans names and where available names in German, Northern Sotho, Southern Sotho, Swati, Tsonga, Tswana, Venda, Xhosa and Zulu.
- Excellent colour illustrations of the most important aspects of the identification of these plants.
- A concise text detailing the habitat, general appearance, main stems, shoots, thorns, leaves, inflorescence, pods and seeds of each form.
- A distribution map of each form.
Field Guide to the Acacias of South Africa is a must for anyone with an interest in trees or our natural heritage in general.