Watching and ‘ticking’ butterflies is a rewarding hobby and one that is gaining popularity in South Africa. This handy pocket guide details more than 250 of the region’s 670 species, from the tiniest blues and coppers to enormous swallowtails and emperors. The most commonly encountered butterflies are included, but there are also a few elusive ‘specials’, for those who enjoy a challenge.
The book offers :
- Concise text describing the habits, favoured habitat and early life stages of each butterfly (egg, larva and pupa)
- Details of seasonal and other variations
- Similar-looking species and status information
- Full-colour photographs and distribution maps
- Colour-coded calendar bars, showing at a glance when a particular butterfly is most abundant.
This handy little guide should prove invaluable to beginners and more experienced butterfly enthusiasts alike.