Medicinal Plants of the World is a comprehensive and scientifically accurate guide to the best-known and most important medicinal plants, including those of special commercial or historical interest.
The book aims to conceptualise this rapidly expanding field of study and includes:
- Descriptions of more than 320 medicinal plants and their close relatives. Each entry gives a short summary with the following information: a description of the plant, the geographical origin, therapeutic category, historical and modern uses, active ingredients and pharmacological effects.
- More than 800 full-colour photographs that will assist in the identification of the plants and related or similar plants.
- Introductory chapters on various healing cultures of the world, general concepts, common ailments and their treatment with modern phytomedicines and with traditional remedies and the study of active compounds and their pharmacological effects.
- A quick guide and checklist of all the most important and well known medicinal plants of the world, listed according to scientific name but giving the common names, family name, region of origin, therapeutic category, and plant parts used. Also included is a glossary of medical and related terms.
- An essential reference guide for health care professionals, doctors, nurses and especially pharmacists, or anyone with an interest in medicinal plants and their uses. This book will appeal to both laypersons and those with a professional interest in medicinal plants.